Do What You Love
The staff of RTKids treats every day as an opportunity to do something incredible. Read below for more information on current opportunities: STUDENT SUPPORT ASSOCIATE and OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE!
STUDENT SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (posted September 20, 2017)
The Student Support Associate, reporting to the Artistic and Executive Director, is responsible for overseeing a comprehensive academic support system (called A+: Arts Plus) for students in the ACTE II scholarship program in grades 6-12. This includes being a liaison to student families and schools, in order to provide homework help and other necessary services. The Student Support Associate will schedule tutors, student and parent meetings, volunteers, and other academic vendors. The Student Support Associate also partners with the volunteer program, helping to identify and train volunteer mentors and tutors to work with our students. In addition, they will work with the PPAS at RTKids program, assisting with attendance, audition support, and grading rubrics.
10 months per year-September through mid-June: Tuesday through Friday 11-7; Saturday 9-5 (some flexibility is needed)
- Develop a relationship with each student, and with students, families and RTKids staff work together to identify academic needs
- Assess and hire subject specific tutors staying within the budget guidelines
- Document, on a weekly basis, students’ classroom grades
- Together with the ACTE II Program Director, create a framework and schedule for the
- year of tutoring and mentoring services for each student level
- Provide written support to the Development Department to seek grant funds for the A+ program
- Identify prospects and communicate with contacts in higher education (local colleges
- and universities) to solicit volunteer tutors
- Determine placement, schedule, and curriculum for tutors and mentors with students
- Regulary meet with school principals, guidance counselors, parent coordinators, and teachers to identify the expectations of each school for our students
- Maintain organized files of student report cards and documentation
- Maintain regular communication with each student and their family, if necessary, to ensure committed participation in the academic program
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on student progress for reporting at staff meetings and to donors and prospects
- Tutor students and be present in the study room while student tutoring is in session
- Work with each student and student’s family, and RTKids staff, as necessary, to assist each one with Summer Arts applications and High School applications
- Schedule and coordinate the college application process with vendor
- Coordinate audition rehearsals and appointments with RTKids teaching artists in order to ensure success for all students in their applications
- Assist and schedule, when needed, activities outside of RTKids regular curriculum
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in not-for-profit administration, preferably familiar with the New York City Department of Education
- Availability evenings and weekends, as needed
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and writing
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Education, Arts Administration, or similar field
- Belief in the mission of the organization, and respect for its teaching methods
- Love of and respect for children
- Ability to work with people of all ages, races, and diversities
- Appreciation of the performing arts
- Ability to envision and plan for the future
- Professional appearance
- Strong organizational skills
- Good computer skills
- Ability to inspire and motivate students and volunteers
- Sense of humor
- Demonstrated teamwork skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to change in plans
- Fluency in a second language is preferable, but not required
Please send cover letter with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary commensurate with skills.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED BY September 28, 2017
OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE (posted September 26, 2017)
Rosie’s Theater Kids seeks a can-do, reliable, self-motivated, supremely organized and friendly team-player to serve as Operations Associate. This position plays a vital role in maintaining daily building operations Rosie’s Theater Kids custom-renovated 5-story townhouse at 445 West 45th Street, Maravel Arts Center.
Reports to: Associate General Manager
- Act as Front Desk Attendant
- Train and schedule P/T Front Desk Attendants
- Perform twice daily building walk-throughs for supply replenishment and cleaning spot-checks
- Perform regular (daily and monthly) dance floor mopping and maintenance
- Ensure cleanliness of building lobby, front desk, sidewalk, and entrance at all times (i.e., picking up litter, sweeping, cleaning front door)
- Attend to facilities vendors’ appointments
- Manage equipment updates and maintenance (including all copiers and printers in building)
- Assist with supply ordering
- In coordination with Associate General Manager, manage online building maintenance partner
- Manage studio maintenance and daily furniture set up for classes
- Prepare weekly Fedex mailings
- Maintain organization and cleanliness in supply and production closets
- Event load-in and load-out
- Event set up
- At least 2 years’ experience in facilities and/or office management work
- Some knowledge of general building maintenance (does not need to be expert)
- Ability to work with an online vendor system
- Working knowledge of basic IT tasks
- Friendly, welcoming demeanor
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and initiative
- Excellent organizational skills, with a priority on order and cleanliness
- Excellent communication skills, online and in person
- Impeccable punctuality and reliability
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and climb stairs
- Residential proximity to Maravel Arts Center (445 West 45th Street)
- Driver’s license
- Some experience with performing arts spaces (in any capacity)
Hours: 8 AM – 2 PM, Monday – Friday, some flexibility needed
Start date: ASAP
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
RTKids has no current openings for permanent teaching artists. However, we accept résumés on a rolling basis for consideration at a later date in teaching dance, drama, voice, or a combination of all three. Strong résumés include professional training and experience in their craft along with significant work with children.
RTKids employs a staff of full-time teaching artists as well as part-time, freelance artists. Given the high standards that we maintain in our programs, teaching artist hiring is a highly competitive, thoughtful, and multi-step process.
Résumés are first reviewed by RTKids senior staff. From those résumés, each semester, we invite select teaching artists to view RTKids classes during an Open House Week. This allows artists to acquaint themselves with the RTKids style and format, and also gives our staff the chance to become acquainted with each applicant. After the initial meeting, artists may be contacted to visit a second or third class. Applicants are encouraged, at this point, to participate in the workshops and ask questions.
By the end of the school year, we ask a few applicants to take part in RTKids’ teaching artist training. We then place prospective teaching artists on a roster of possible part-time, freelance workers for upcoming projects and activities. Work is not guaranteed after participation in training. We consider artists for full-time employment after they have participated in part-time work or an apprenticeship period, artists are considered for full-time employment.
Given a more immediate need for a teaching artist, RTKids will post openings here, as well as on popular arts employment pages like Playbill, ARTSEARCH, and NYFA. In this case, the process is typically more direct, with an interview, class visit, and demonstration of teaching skills.
To submit a résumé for later consideration, please email your résumé and a cover letter to Thecla Harris. . .
Policy for giving employment references
RTKids does not provide references for former and/or current employees. All requests for verification of employment, confirming dates and duties of an RTKids employee, should be addressed to Lindsay Miserandino, Director of Advancement.